There is lots of confusion about how much turmeric to consume in a day and how many times one needs to take turmeric capsules.
How Much Turmeric Should I Take in a Day?
The dosage of turmeric for adults is:
- 5 – 3 g per day of cut root
- 1 – 3 g per day of dried root
- 400 – 600 mg, three times per day of curcumin
- 30 to 90 drops per day of fluid extract
- 15 – 30 drops, four times daily of Tincture
- Tinctures and liquid extracts are not covered by this information.
Cut root is usually considered fresh turmeric. It has some moisture in it, and it can easily be to prepare pickles and added to salads.
Dried root is the best way to use turmeric. That is how turmeric powder is made. It can be made by drying cut root and creating a powder. from it The drying can cause a loss of moisture, but it wont; deprive you of any nutrients.
Curcumin: Curcumin is usually extracted from turmeric and then developed into standardized powders. These are sold as turmeric supplements in the market.
Side Effects of Turmeric
We know that turmeric is totally safe when consumed orally or applied to the skin for a period of eight months. Turmeric is also safe when it is used as a mouthwash or an enema in some cases.
Turmeric does not cause any side effects in general, but there is a chance that some people may get an upset stomach or experience dizziness or nausea. An individual who consumes more turmeric than the recommended 1500 mg dose every day can experience an abnormal heart beat. You have to avoid consuming significant doses of turmeric and always follow your doctor’s turmeric daily dosage instructions.
if you are breastfeeding or pregnant, turmeric is safe when it is taken orally and with food. Turmeric can be unsafe when it is taken orally in medicinal amounts when you are pregnant.
There is a chance that turmeric can stimulate the uterus or promote a menstrual period. It may also put the pregnancy at risk. There is no need to take medicinal amounts of turmeric if you are pregnant.
Turmeric can make gallbladder issues worse. You should not use turmeric if you have gallstones or some bile duct obstruction.
When you take turmeric, it can prevent down blood clotting. This can elevate the risk of bruising and bleeding in people who have bleeding disorders. You will find that using turmeric as a blood thinner is quite common in places where medical supplies are in short supply. It’s actually one of the least expensive blood thinners.
Turmeric contains a substance called curcumin, and this can reduce the blood sugar in people who have diabetes. You may use it only under the advisement of a doctor if you have diabetes. It may lead to lower blood sugar levels.
A stomach disorder known as gastroesophageal reflux disease can occur when some people take turmeric.
How to Take Turmeric
- You may add turmeric to frittatas and scrambles. You can also add a small amount of turmeric to scrambled eggs and tofu scramble. In case you or your family are not familiar to turmeric, these would good dishes to start with since the color is same and the flavor is subtle.
- You may toss turmeric in with some roasted vegetables
- Turmeric has a peppery and a warm flavor that works well with potatoes, cauliflower and root vegetables. You may also add turmeric to rice. It brings a mild flavor and color to a pot of plain rice
- You may try turmeric with greens. A small amount of turmeric may be sprinkled into braised or sautéed greens, such as collards, kale, and cabbage
- You may utilize turmeric in soups
- Some chicken soup or a bowl full of vegetables can have a warming effect when it is mixed with golden turmeric
- Turmeric may be mixed into a smoothie
- A pinch of ground spice will work well with the fresh turmeric root in smoothies and juices
- You can make turmeric tea. All you have to do is heat turmeric powder with honey and milk to make an excellent, tasty beverage. This is a good way to use turmeric for arthritis. Just be sure to use the recommended turmeric powder dosage.
- The best time of day to take turmeric is at meal time. Turmeric is fat-soluble, so it needs to be taken with some fat.